Monday, March 28, 2011

Finally, A Breakthrough!

The past couple of months have been torture for me and my little kidlit trilogy. Every chapter I wrote felt like I was pulling teeth, and read like it, too. It was dull, dry, and completely lacking what made the first draft so much fun to write. I know writing can be a chore sometimes, but really, if I don't like writing it, why would anyone want to read it?

I started thinking it was because I switched the narrative from first person to third, but that shouldn't have made that big a difference. Sure, I was losing the conversational tone of my main character's inner thoughts to guide the story, but gaining the ability to follow other characters should have added all sorts of awesomeness to my narrative. The problem I was really having is that I had lost my narrative voice and didn't know how to bring the fun back.

That's when I came upon the solution at last, the missing puzzle piece that would not only make my story fun to write again, it would make for a much more engaging read than in any of the previous drafts. Plus, it will draw the reader even deeper into the fictional world I've created, and that's definitely a good thing. I can't tell you what this magical solution is just yet, but I hope to have more news on this soon.

Oh, and I should also have some good news relating to my short stories soon. Stay tuned, exciting things are on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers love feedback on their work! Constructive criticism, comments and questions are always welcome, just keep it clean for the kids!