Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Quick Take on Clash of the Titans

Okay, this is less of a quick-take and more of a mini-rant. It's also about a movie, but since it's based on mythology, I figured you wouldn't mind if I indulged just a little.

It bothers me that kids today think that the movie Clash of the Titans owes something to the video game God of War, even after a quick internet search gives the original 1981 release date of the movie this one is based on - long before God of War was a glimmer in a developer's eye. And then, of course, there's the original Greek myth of Perseus...

Now, I'm not saying video games are bad. Far from it - I indulge in them as well, though my interest runs more to the RPGs these days. (Even in games, I love a good story!) I do believe, however, that kids should have a greater understanding of the inspiration behind them. Perseus was getting into adventures involving gods and titans long before Kratos arrived on the scene, and there's a ton of other Greek myths that are just as exciting. I suppose what I'm saying could be summed up by four simple words: Gamers, know your roots!

I know, I know, I'm due for the next stop on the Hero's Journey road, but I just had to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers love feedback on their work! Constructive criticism, comments and questions are always welcome, just keep it clean for the kids!