Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing and Audience Participation

Now that The Everyday Divinities Project is underway, it might be a good time to mention a unique feature of this writing project, and that's the audience participation element.

"Audience participation? I thought writing was pretty much a solitary, non-audience thing?"

Usually, yes, but not always. The creative process is something I absolutely love - there are few things that bring me as much joy as creating new worlds, new characters to populate them, and new scenarios to put them through. I also love helping others with their creative process and seeing my contributions in the finished product. No one else may realize that the dialogue that character says was inspired by me, but I do, and it makes me smile every time I read it. I mean, really, how often do you get to contribute to someone else's work in such a way?

I want to give that joy to others, too. More often than not, I inquire on my Facebook account when I'm looking for inspiration for my latest story. (My fan page also has a discussion section for this, and sometimes I send out inspiration requests on Twitter, too.) For The Coffee Machines, I specifically asked for people's coffee maker quirks to add into the narrative, and one reply even made it in as a quote in the story itself. This sort of audience participation is what I love - fans being able to feel as though they're a part of the creation process and seeing the tangible results of that input - and something that I'd like to see more of as The Everyday Divinities Project continues.

Do you have a favorite inanimate object you'd like to see in a story? Put it in the comments section below and give me at least one quirk, if not more, that makes it stand out in your mind. Who knows, it may end up as the next short story on this blog! And don't forget to join my Facebook profile and fan page to keep track of the latest creative developments of this unique writing project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers love feedback on their work! Constructive criticism, comments and questions are always welcome, just keep it clean for the kids!